After asatisfying lunch at a friend’s place, I’m so inspired to cook up something too!
To start with, I’m no expert in cooking but I can prepare simple dishes with youtube’s help!
Today, I will be sharing (like the title suggested) ORH NEEEE! It’s my favourite dessert and it’s a Teochew dessert!
I don’t have much picture of the preparation as it’s my first time trying to make one (& didn’t expect it would turn out so well!) >_<
But I will still share the youtube link with you so that you can make reference!
So many video? Which one to follow? Actually I followed a bit of everything! With a bit of everything, below is my version of Orh Nee:
INGREDIENT (**based on estimation)
1 Whole Yam (about 1.2kg – 1.5kg)
1 Slice Pumpkin (about 150g)
1 Pack Gingko Nuts (or 100g)
200ml Coconut Cream or Coconut Milk
100g Rock Sugar**
150g Caster Sugar**
A (few) Pinch of Salt**
2 Cups Vegetable Oil** (you can use 200g of lard if you can get them)
2-3 Knots of Pandan Leave** (good to have but can do without too)
All above ingredient can be adjusted to your own taste preference. I underlined those ingredient which I feel is a must have! The rest I didn’t really use them because I forgot to buy them!! LOL!
**based on estimation as I totally didn’t use any measuring kit! You know like how our parents also cook..? “agar-agar” can already.. If you think it’s sweet enough for u already then you do not need to add more sugar. if 150g is too blend, just add more sugar.
- Cut/chop yam & pumpkin into cubes and steam them (I steamed them for about 40 mins. Throw in some pandan leaves if desire).
- While waiting, let’s work on the gingko nuts (ie: Shiokman’s video):
- Sliced gingko nuts into half and pick out the stem.
- When done, cook gingko nuts in boiling water & add rock sugar to sweeten it (you can use caster sugar if you dun have rock sugar).
- Throw in pandan leaves if you have (I skipped this as i forgot to buy pandan leaves).
- Once yam and pumpkin are cooked/soften, mashed them. (NOTE: mashed the yam while its hot. Once cold, it will be hard to mash)
- PUMPKIN: After mashed, add sugar for sweetness and set aside (pumpkin’s done!)
- YAM: After mashed, you can then transfer into a food processor to blend them further so you get a finer texture.
- Add in the gingko syrup, caster sugar and a pinch of salt and blend together to add taste (you can adjust this according to suit your taste bud).
- Add 1 cup vegetable oil to smooth it (optional).
- Heat up your wok with 1 cup vegetable oil (or melted lard) to stir-fry your yam paste! (ie: Meatmen’s video)
- Add sugar to enhance the taste!
- Keep stirring until yam paste and oil combined into a smooth texture.
Ready to serve?! HANG ON!! Remember I have my coconut cream??
- Heat up coconut cream (I added half cup of water as cream is too think)
- Add a pinch of salt
- Stir well and done!
Now you’re ready to serve!!
For this orh nee, I only purchased yam, pumpkin and gingko, assuming that’s all i need until i re-watch the video then realized I missed out so much! Lucky for me, I have vegetable oil & rock sugar at home so everything is still manageable!
My food processor didn’t work (yes, like a bad day to cook!)! So if you don’t have a food processor, get a sieve and do it the hard way!
In short, all you need to do is Steam, Mash, Blend and you’re done! You can skip the frying you’re lazy (ie: Hed Chef and Shiokman’s version are non fried)!
Give it a try and tell me how you like it (or not like?)?