The actual period for you to get a JP is 3 months prior your wedding (ROM) date.
However, it seems that popular JP are always fully booked prior that dateline. Hence I decided to start early!! I already did a shortlist of my preferred JP at least 9 months prior my wedding!
- Dr. Phua Tan Tee (licence expiring 30 Jun 2016) Very fatherly and well recommended JP! Tends to give long speech but according to review, his speech are well loved by elderly..
- Mr. Tan Yan Boon Alex (licence expiring 31 Dec 2016) A jovial gentleman
- Mr. Chiang Heng Liang (licence expiring 31 Dec 2016) In case you want to know, he’s the JP for Christopher Lee & Fann Wong..
- Mr. Lee Ka But (licence expiring 31 Dec 2020) From what I read online, seems like he will usually donate the angbao money from couple to charity (under couple’s name)
- Dr Ho Lai Yun (licence expiring 31 Dec 2018)
On the 6th month, I had approached the first 2 JP and was indirectly rejected as their license are expiring. They couldn’t advice any further as license renewal wasn’t up to them to decide. It’s ROM decision whether to renew them or not. Hence outta courtesy, they actually advice me to look for someone else in case their license wasn’t renew.
Knowing that I’m a kiasu bride, I decided to go ahead to look for alternative! I asked a few married friends / visited forums to see if they have any recommendation! My main concern is that i do not want a JP who’s too serious (which will makes me more stress) nor i want a JP who doesn’t seems to take things seriously (comes late / not pro-active / rushing things through)..
Finally, I shortlisted next 3 names and decided to email to Dr Ho first since my friend highly recommended him.. I did not approached Mr Chiang due to personal reason but according to my friend who engaged him, they really enjoyed their ROM with him. He basically stayed throughout the session even though he’s role was done. Very 尽责！
Waited for few weeks, no respond from Dr Ho.. (SAD again!!) Decided to resend the email to follow up and to my HORROR! I SEND TO THE WRONG EMAIL! OH-EM-GEEEE (OMG)!! HAHAHAHA
I quickly copy and paste the context and send to the correct email and he responded within a day! *whistle* HAPPY GIRL NOW.. Not just because I found my mistake and corrected but because he replied.. with a POSITIVE ANSWER!!! Yey!!!
He had blocked his calendar for our wedding date and we even talked about meeting to get some documents sign and filing for marriage!! Pls note that this was about 6.5 months to our wedding!
For now.. I guess i have nothing else to update! So stay tune for next week’s post for more wedding preparation post!!
Some links that might be useful in finding your JP:
Registry of Marriage
- HOME PAGE – https://www.rom.gov.sg/error_sentinel.asp
- SOLEMNIZATION – https://www.rom.gov.sg/#
- LIST OF JP – https://www.rom.gov.sg/reg_info/rom_solemnizers.asp